Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Tiny Service

After our normal morning church service in Lochalsh, the team made our way out to a very small town for an afternoon service.  I went into this particular service knowing that there would be about as many of us as there would be of the "congregation."  That proved to be absolutely true.  

Six of us Americans were there (me, our mentor, and my teammates) along with the pastor of the church in Lochalsh and an elder of the church.  There were, I believe, six people who attended from that town.  Six.  

This was by far the smallest church service I have ever been too.  I'm still soaking in all of the service.  That being said, I think it was one of the more beautiful moments of my time here.  Fellowship with the people was very slim, the people were extremely quiet and left almost right after the service.  But, church can be as small as twelve or thirteen.  It can be smaller.  It can be larger.  The number of people determines very little.  These people were there for their monthly church service and it didn't matter that it only happened once a month, or that there were hardly any people there.  They just wanted to commune with God, and to be refreshed by the Word.  

One moment that brought me to reality was in the midst of singing a Psalm.  I paused to breathe, and instead waited, and just listened.  There was singing, and glorifying God.  It was beautiful.  

No matter how small or large, God will meet with His people wherever they may be.  Praise be for that!


Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there, and especially to my Dad!  He's the best, and I love him dearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment