Friday, April 13, 2012

The Power of His Name

As I've been preparing to leave in a little over a month, I've been reading different books and reading more and more scripture to prepare my heart for being overseas.  I know there is so much to prepare for, and most of these preparations I'm doing quite blindly.  There is so much I have yet to know, and I'm honestly thankful for that fact.  I'm thankful for walking ahead in the midst of a fog.  More and more, I'm trusting my Savior to lead me, to prepare my heart, and to give me words to speak.  It's beautiful what God does...it's beautiful being led by Him; yes, at times it's terrifying, but there is such a peace that can be found in simply walking in Him and trusting Him to hold you in His hand. 

One of the books I'm currently reading is Radical by David Platt.  I won't go into great detail giving you a synopsis of the book, simply put, the book is about taking back your faith from the grip of the "American Dream."  Below is a paraphrase from one of the chapters.

     Two thousand years ago when believers shouted the name of Christ, people were healed from physical and spiritual problems.  The reality is that today, Christ's name is STILL great, the problem for us or the question today is, "Do we still believe in the power of Christ's name?  Do we still trust in His name's power?"  (paraphrased)

Do I really believe that His name is powerful? 

If I do, then do I actually trust that that name is full of power?

If I don't, why not?

As a people we tend to shrink back from speaking the name of Jesus.  Why?  Everyone will probably have different answers, though I think that those answers will all be rooted in some form of fear.  Fear of not being accepted, fear of being written off, fear of sounding crazy or not intelligent. 

When we fail to speak the name of Jesus boldly, we give power to the enemy.  He grips that fear we have and he doesn't let it go.  Satan manipulates our fear, and uses it against us.

Do not give in to fear.  I need to hear this just as much as the next person.  Fear is deadly.

Speak the name of Jesus boldly.  Hold tightly to His power and do not let it do. 

Pray that I might speak Jesus's name boldly for there is great power in His name.  Pray that I would trust in that truth also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment